Facebook changes the rules of contests: no more need for an application! Here's what this change entails
With this measure going against the grain of what previously prevailed regarding Facebook's rules for making contests , Facebook has just allowed contests outside the framework of an application.
Here are the different methods that can now be used to enter a contest (besides the app):
- Post to the Wall of a Page
- Comment/like a post on the page
- Send a private message to the page
- Use "Like" as a voting mechanism
Facebook says it made the change to allow businesses of all sizes to run contests on Facebook.
This change is very surprising when you know that there are several almost free solutions to make Facebook contests . Even more when you know that a few days ago , Facebook decided to prioritize the publications of pages with quality content . Furthermore, these methods risk increasing the level of spam by increasing the chances that the same comment will be repeated several times below a post.
Most concerning is that it is difficult for a page to obtain the name and contact information of participants. Page admins cannot easily communicate with users ; they will therefore have to ask users to enter their email in the comments to participate, or make a publication to ask the winner to write to them.
THE DOWNSIDES OF THE NEW METHOD
- It is not possible to communicate directly with a participant
- It is impossible to obtain information on the participants (email, address, or other)
- There is no longer any control over the mode of participation
- Facebook does not encourage sharing of the contest post
- Most important point : with the new method, a user does not have to like the page to participate in a contest
THE POSITIVES OF THE NEW METHOD
- It is now free for a page to run a contest
- It is no longer necessary to produce visuals only for competitions
- It is possible to create a contest in less than a minute
WHEN TO USE THIS METHOD TO MAKE A CONTEST?
When you offer an instant prize whose value is less than $100. This is the limit amount for which the Régie des jeux du Québec requests the creation of regulations. We can see the usefulness for a brand that would launch a contest on a whim, to draw a gift card, for example. There is also the possibility of putting the rules in the publication, but given this investment of time, I suggest taking an application.
In addition, in the context of a photo gallery voting contest, it may be easier for a company to use this method.
WHY CONTINUE TO USE A CONTEST APPLICATION?
- Increase the number of followers on a page
- Get more information about the participants
- Request more specific actions from participants
- Have better control over the contest and its participants
- Limit fraud (multiple registrations with fake profiles and the same IP address)
- Offer sharing methods to the contest
- Run contests with prizes worth more than $100