Tool – ‘window resizer’ for Firefox
My favorite tool for testing the 1024x768 'experiment' is window resizer. This tool integrates with Firefox (3.0) and allows you to simulate the following resolutions: 640×480, 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×800, 1280×1024 and 1600×1200.
To remember :
- It is recommended to position the most important elements of the page at the top of the fold (you can also repeat them further down the page)
- There remains about 600 pxl of visible in height once the toolbar is taken into account
- You must not exceed 990 pxl wide to consider the scrollbar of the browser
- Some sites are aimed at customers who have computer equipment that is still archaic
- For a question of visual comfort, a user can adjust his screen to a resolution of 800×600
Don’t forget to check the screen resolutions used on your site before doing a redesign. This information can be obtained through performance measurement tools.