Christmas is the most important shopping period of the year for ecommerce website. Long gone is the time where a website would put a Christmas mp3 during this time of the year. They now work hard to get you to purchase on their website, let's take a look at what they are doing well.
1. Give them the ordering deadline to get their stuff before it's too late (making them mad and resent you for the rest of their life)
2. Help them shop (intelligently). Think about possible way people shop for present and make those options available on your homepage. Possible way could be by budget, persona, geekyness, popular product, easy last-minute gift, by sex, family gift, etc...Make it look you have done the hard job for them.
3. Have you ever been really really last minute or out of idea for a gift? They do too; promote your gift certificate during Christmas. (Ideal for lazy shoppers)
4. Email marketing. It’s cheap and sometime a customer only needs to be reminded of your website to purchase
5. Adwords is good to target very specific product name that user are looking to buy. It's very good if your prices are very competitive since it's easy for the user to shop around.
6. Start to promote your boxing day! A lot of customer will visit your website during December, give them a way to be reminded (and an incentive) of the boxing days.
7. Exchange policy is a big concern during Christmas. Make it easy to find your warranty and exchange policy.
8. Gift wrapping, it's been around for a long time but you are more likely to up sale the user at this time of the year.
9. Offer more payment option and financing to differentiate yourself from your competitor. Christmas season is already expensive.
10. Create urgency so they don't wait and think too much (they might change their mind)
Merry Christmas...and happy shopping